Bottomline:Most medical lack consultation rooms that inspire doctor-patient confidentiality thus the patient ends up not disclosing fully the nature of his or her ailments more so when it comes to sexually transmitted infections (STI’s)
Sophistication of modern technology on matters health, many citizens are compelled to question whether Kenyan hospitals offer individuals seeking diagnosis and treatment with private time everyone needs whilst orchestrating consultations with their trusted doctor across local clinics, dispensaries and established hospitals the likes of Aga Khan, Matter hospital, Bliss hospital, M.P Shah, Pandya and Palm Beach hospital.
Small partitioned chambers bound with card boards, blue and green hanging, curtained sheets and plywood materials are what ushers many of us (ailing persons) into most public hospitals few are recognized, highly revered private clinics alike, scattered here and there; left, right and centre across the country.
According to a research carried out in the United States of America, this should not be the case. Patients need privacy thus the hospital offering treatment services should offer. Privacy during patient – doctor conversations which is confidential.
“Personally I have on many instances shunned from revealing the completeness of my symptoms every time I have an appointment with a doctor. Either the room is too small or too close to the next consultation room. I am then coerced to speak in low tone while elaborating the nature of my malady,” affirms Jacob Hakika – An asthma patient from Mombasa county.
According to USA health researches, 49% of women between ages 13 – 26 will shy from disclosing everything in a doctors “white” room devoid of apt privacy. On the other hand, about 51% of men aged within the same cohort of 13 – 26 years will also withhold vital information that could presumably aid in the doctors’ check – up exercise.
This alone stands as water tight evidence that teenagers across the world, leave alone Kenya are as sensitive. It then brings about the question of whether our local hospitals are in pole position to offer patients with the space and time they need while sorting out their health alongside their trusted medics’ much sought for health assistance?
Issues traversing sexually transmitted infections, (S.T.I), degenerative illnesses, malignant conditions such as cancer, respiratory infections (asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis, pneumonia) acquired through lifestyle practices, reproductive health for women, menstrual abnormalities among others are so crucial a topic thus an issue of secretive deliberation between you and your doctor. To this end, one requires a conducive atmosphere that would allow them to freely open up on how they feel; doing this sincerely without hiding any symptoms whatsoever.
” I opine that it is the role of Government to ensure a particular hospital’s architecture is elaborate enough to cater for closed chambers which shall act as the modern consultation rooms. The room should be well bound by four walls, ceiling, a good floor kept clean, a firm door, lockable enough to inspire confidentiality of their physicians and qualified health consultants. Private hospitals and health facilities that do not meet the above standards should be closed immediately, delisted from mainstream health service providers or given time to adjust accordingly as stipulated by law,” reiterates a clinical officer at the Annexxe Medium Prison hospital, Dr. Glory Bahati Kombe.
With the right measures of course, we could bring more and more youths to willingly submitting the probability of getting their bodies medically scrutinized. For it is evident that out of the 50 million citizenry, it is the younger folks that fear hospitals and clinics the most. These people still have a lot of dreams, visions, ambitions within their belts.
Suffice is to say that they shall do all at their disposal to ensure such is protected. This is why our hospitals need to have such unique provisions for the unique, sensitive youth enshrined within a worthy course, working hand in hand with the government in a much anticipated vision of having Kenya achieve health stability by the year 2025.
Bottomline: Cartoons bring children together,football brings men together, corruption brings politicians together, what really brings women together?
Curtains have finally come down, the regular football...